Congratulations on your pregnancy – such an exciting time!
During your third trimester it is important that your workouts are Prenatal safe. The main things to think about are:
– Exclude any chest lifting motions (flexion)
– Minimise lying on your back
– Always move within range that is comfortable – listen to your body
– Focus on your breathing as this will be the key to building and maintaining strong abdominals. You should be essentially working your abdominals in every exercise even if not abdominal specific.
Here are my tips on breathing:
- Place your hands onto the sides of your ribcage
- Inhale – Breathe back and up into your ribcage – your ribcage should expand wider
- Exhale – Draw the ribcage back together and deepen down through the abdominals
This type of breathing means you breathe up and down rather than the belly going in and out.
Make sure you listen to your body, if you need a rest day – take one. Or do a stretching workout – your body will thank you for it! Quick Stretch 2 would be perfect for you. Make sure you move within range that is comfortable, as you are nearing your due date your body will naturally start to slow down a little, so do what feels right for you.